VDOT O2 Community Home Forums Message Board Calculating the effect of cycling and other cross-training on race finish times

• Author

For more accurate prediction when cycling and running: Is there any means to include a combination of running and cycling mileage in any the Jack Daniels VDOT race finish time predictor or any other predictor?

As I age, the need for recovery time increases relative to time on feet. To reduced injury risk and build physiology, I utilize cycling/spinning. It is significantly less boring than running in the pool. Wondering the effects of each and in combination. For example Running 50 miles per week with no cycling vs. 35 miles running + 35 cycling. Would like to understand the relationship across various combinations and its effect on race time prediction from 5K to Marathon.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for your time.

• Brad

Good question Heatrunner. I am interested in the response to this question too…

• Chris Rees

Not quite the asnwqer you’re looking for, but here are 3 options.

1) Ithlete, an app on the phone which measures you HRV (good predictor of stress on Central Nervous System and hence recovery). You can also upgrade to Ithlete Pro for £30/year wehich gives more detailed backgorund

2) Firstbeat Athlete Software. Pairs with a watch that record r/r beats and suggests recovery period

3) Many Garmin watches have a recovery feature which uses the FirstBeat analytics to define hours required for body to recover for next harder session.

PS I am not related to Garmin or Firstbeat, but have used these since major overttraining syndrome 5 years ago.

• VDOT
    Keymaster

Fantastic discussion topic. We’ve forwarded your post to Dr. Daniels and will follow-up shortly with his response. We’ve discussed with him in the past and there are so many factors to consider, like race distance the athlete is training for, past training/racing history, age, other stress in the athlete’s life. Ultimately, it will vary per individual and the key is finding the right balance for you. What overall training volume allows you to recover really well and benefit from the Quality work you’re doing. Sometimes supplementing with a lot of cross training might prevent you from recovering well. Sometimes, reducing stress from impact and supplementing with a lot of cross training can help reduce risk of injury, increase consistency and help you maintain steadier progress over time.

• VDOT
    Keymaster

I have not personally done any research involving cycling and its effect on running performance. My best approach would be to consider what systems are being stressed and no doubt that cycling affects the cardiac system and the pulmonary system, but how cycling affects running mechanics (good or bad) is not something I have seen research on. No doubt that different intensities of running affect how the body responds to running and hopefully any training that is undertaken will help running and not take away from running. It is also possible that doing some non-running activities may help avoid injury that may come with more running so that means the alternate exercise is good. If running suits you and doesn’t lead to a negative result in running then keep with it. I must say it is good to do anything that you feel good doing and that improves whatever performance you are trying to improve. Jack

Reply To: Calculating the effect of cycling and other cross-training on race finish times
Your information: